[Portaudio] Distortion in WASAPI exclusive mode
Erik Ronström
2016-04-08 09:33:06 UTC
Hi List,

I’m getting serious distortion when using WASAPI exclusive mode, while shared mode sounds fine. This seems to be regardless of buffer size and suggested latency. Anyone recognizes this?

It may of course be that I don’t provide audio data fast enough, but it seems strange to me that I have no problems with shared mode. I would have thought that exclusive mode would be more stable, compared with shared mode with the same settings.

Erik
Chris
2016-04-08 20:17:57 UTC
No problem with WASAPI in exclusive mode here.

2016-04-20 08:43:27 UTC
Hi again,

(answering myself for future reference, if someone else is having the same problem)

Further investigation shows that the problem only arises when using an input device – even if the sound from the input is not sent to the output. It seems like the problem is triggered by a combination of the following factors:

- WASAPI
- event-mode (as opposed to polling mode)
- exclusive mode
- stream has an input

Since others have been having the same problem, it seems like this may be a bug in WASAPI, or at least an incompatibility between WASAPI and certain drivers and/or hardware. Thus, it may not be a Portaudio problem.

Still, it is extremely annoying

Erik
Erik
Chris
2016-04-20 14:35:46 UTC
What kind of input device are you using? Do you have another one you could try?

I wouldn't rule out the drivers at all.