Is port audio still alive ?
Morgan Roux
2018-07-19 18:18:59 UTC
Hello,

I’m new in audio programming and I want to develop an audio measurement software for live sound application.

I’m coding under mac osx, and I would like to use Port Audio, but I wonder if this library is outdated ?
I cannot install on mac osx 10.13, so can you tell me if this community is still alive ?

Thank you very much.

Morgan Roux
Ross Bencina
2018-07-20 03:50:26 UTC
Hi Morgan,
Post by Morgan Roux
I cannot install on mac osx 10.13
Please indicate how you tried to install it, and what error you got. I'm
sure someone can suggest a fix.

Ross.
Gregorio Litenstein
2018-07-20 05:06:03 UTC
I use portaudio for a game (performous), most of my coding is done on mac.
Portaudio builds and works fine through macports (probably homebrew also).
Macports has the 2014 stable in their trunk but if you look in the PRs you
should find one by me with an update to the 2016 stable.

From: Ross Bencina <rossb-***@audiomulch.com> <rossb-***@audiomulch.com>
Reply: portaudio list <***@lists.columbia.edu>
<***@lists.columbia.edu>
Date: July 19, 2018 at 23:50:26
To: portaudio list <***@lists.columbia.edu>
<***@lists.columbia.edu>
Subject: Re: [Portaudio] Is port audio still alive ?

Hi Morgan,
Phil Burk

Gregorio Litenstein
2018-07-20 19:17:54 UTC
The macports PR? It’s at
https://github.com/macports/macports-ports/pull/1678

I had a really tough time getting the reviewer to accept it and then he
disappeared without ever approving it, but it works. I use that portfile on
my local macports installation.

Jan Stary
2018-07-21 09:16:52 UTC
To answer the original question, yes, PA is alive.
Post by Gregorio Litenstein
https://github.com/macports/macports-ports/pull/1678
If you want to tweak the PortAudio port in macports,
take it to the macports list. There's nothing to do about it here.

Jan
Daniel Schürmann
Tuukka Pasanen
2018-07-25 09:21:16 UTC
Hello,

Now that Tripwire (which supports Jack and Pulseaudio protocols) in
getting in to Fedora it would more necessary to have Pulseaudio support
in Portaudio but it's in hiatus and somekind of limbo so I think we'll
need to start getting it in to distributions as a patch.

Tuukka
Ross Bencina
2018-07-26 03:28:45 UTC
Hi Tukka,
Post by Tuukka Pasanen
Now that Tripwire (which supports Jack and Pulseaudio protocols) in
getting in to Fedora
I guess you mean PipeWire not Tripwire?

https://pipewire.org/

I looked at this about a month ago and it seemed not to be ready for
prime time.
Post by Tuukka Pasanen
but it's in hiatus and somekind of limbo
Could you clarify which (PipeWire, Pulseaudio, Portaudio) is "in some
kind of limbo"?

Thanks,

Ross.
Tuukka Pasanen
2018-08-02 08:28:04 UTC
Hello,

It's more or less my lack of time and interest limbo.

Tuukka
Post by Ross Bencina
Hi Tukka,