No Devices Enumerated, Pulseaudio Working
R0b0t1
2018-03-26 22:55:11 UTC
Hello friends,

My sound system seems to be working properly, yet PortAudio lists no
devices. This was originally noticed with pyaudio and sounddevice (Python
bindings for PortAudio) but also duplicated with the C example. I am using
19.6-dev on a recent kernel. Problem exists with a 2014 release as well.

`pacmd list-cards` gives two ALSA devices. I am not sure what other
information to provide.

Thanks in advance,
R0b0t1
Alan Horstmann
2018-03-27 16:17:49 UTC
Post by R0b0t1
Hello friends,
My sound system seems to be working properly, yet PortAudio lists no
devices. This was originally noticed with pyaudio and sounddevice (Python
bindings for PortAudio) but also duplicated with the C example. I am using
19.6-dev on a recent kernel. Problem exists with a 2014 release as well.
`pacmd list-cards` gives two ALSA devices. I am not sure what other
information to provide.
What about if you do
'aplay -l' ?

Is it 'pa_devs' you tried? Post the output of those 2 commands.

Alan
R0b0t1
2018-03-28 01:44:57 UTC
On Tue, Mar 27, 2018 at 11:17 AM, Alan Horstmann
Post by Alan Horstmann
Post by R0b0t1
Hello friends,
My sound system seems to be working properly, yet PortAudio lists no
devices. This was originally noticed with pyaudio and sounddevice (Python
bindings for PortAudio) but also duplicated with the C example. I am using
19.6-dev on a recent kernel. Problem exists with a 2014 release as well.
`pacmd list-cards` gives two ALSA devices. I am not sure what other
information to provide.
What about if you do
'aplay -l' ?
$ aplay -l
card 0: HDMI [HDA Intel HDMI], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: HDMI [HDA Intel HDMI], device 7: HDMI 1 [HDMI 1]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 0: Generic Analog [Generic Analog]
Subdevices: 0/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 1: Generic Digital [Generic Digital]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
Post by Alan Horstmann
Is it 'pa_devs' you tried? Post the output of those 2 commands.
Indeed,

$ ./pa_devs
PortAudio version number = 1246720
PortAudio version text = 'PortAudio V19.6.0-devel, revision
396fe4b6699ae929d3a685b3ef8a7e97396139a4'
Number of devices = 0

Thanks for the reply. I hope there's something useful there.

Cheers,
R0b0t1